Tuesday 19 May 2015

Karol Week 12: Princess

The princess was the only female character that we were designing for this project, so I wanted to explore as many interesting ideas as possible, before choosing the final one. Usually the best way to go about it is to start witch a lot of silhouettes, so that's what I did first.

The castle that I came up with in previous weeks, was the one that she would live in, so as I incorporated some Asian architecture elements to it I decided that it would be a good idea to look at some Asian fashion and hairstyles while designing the princess.


After that I explored some ideas further in my sketchbook and in coloured Photoshop sketches. At this point I started to focus more on her character rather than just on the visual appearance.  In the story she asks the prince to take his cap off and when he refuses she just grabs and pulls it off his head against his will. Because of that I imagined her to be a bit childish and spoiled teenage girl who is used to getting anything what she desires. I wanted to display that by showing her in vibrant coloured fancy robes, disinterested in her new pet, already thinking about what she wants to ask her daddy for next.






And here's the final piece. I'm quite happy with how it turned out, as I managed to capture what I had in my mind while reading the story.   


No comments:

Post a Comment