Monday 18 May 2015

Karol Week 7: The Castle

Just like in case of the kings from week one, we decided to design one of castles appearing in the story each. Naturally, I drew the one that my king would live in. As I designed him as a bulky and robust men I wanted my castle to reflect those qualities, to make it easier to associate this place with his character.

I started with these  sketches, concentrating more on big shapes, thinking about the general structure:


 After that I moved to sketchbook and tried out some different ideas. It was clear to me that in order to design building that would fit Iron John's world, that I had in my mind, I had to make it look a bit strange and out of our world.


Trying to come up with something original and unique for my final piece I mixed a silhouette of an old Japanese castle with some medieval European architecture. Instead of focusing just on the castle itself I wanted to show the environment in which it was built. I also played with the weather to enhance the mood of the piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment